News

Texas Man Fighting for Life After Contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria in Galveston

KHOU

A Jacinto City man is struggling to stay alive after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria while swimming off the coast of Galveston, Texas.

Brian Parrott, 50, took his family to Galveston for a regular day on the beach a week ago Sunday. According to FOX26, Parrot only spent a short amount of time in the water.

The next day he fell ill, and within two days his condition worsened quickly. Boils began to break out up and down his right leg.

Parrott’s family took him to LBJ Hospital, where doctors amputated his infected leg from the knee down. His mother, Donna Dailey, told reporters she was shocked by how quickly the infection spread.

“You go swimming with your family on Sunday, you go to work on Monday, you have a red leg on Tuesday, Wednesday you have boils on your leg, Thursday you lose the leg, ” Dailey said.

Parrott is still in the hospital being monitored by doctors

Man_contracts_flesh_eating_virus_in_Galv_0_1466650_ver1.0_640_360
FOX26Houston.com

Doctors have not confirmed what type of bacterial infection is afflicting Parrott, nor how he contracted it. Dailey says he most likely contracted the flesh-eating bacteria through a small cut on his foot. Parrott is also a diabetic, which Dailey says may have exacerbated the infection.

According to KHOU,  the Galveston area has had two reported cases of flesh-eating bacteria this year. One came from food contained with the bacteria, while the other entered the victim’s wound. There were eight cases of flesh-eating bacteria in Galveston in 2015.

Back in 2014, a Texas man died after contracting a necrotizing fasciitis, a strain of flesh-eating bacteria, while fishing on Lake Conroe, a popular recreation spot near Houston. The bacteria entered through a small cut on his body.

recommended for you

Texas Man Fighting for Life After Contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria in Galveston