Even a severe bout of pneumonia can’t stop Merle Haggard from performing for his fans.
Just a week after the 78-year-old country legend announced he would have to cancel all planned tour dates for February, Haggard says he is now well enough to continue his tour. He surprised fans by showing up to the Safari Club International Annual Convention in Las Vegas on Feb. 8, and is now set to perform his previously cancelled dates in Santa Rosa and Lemoore, Cali. later this week.
In December, the country star was hospitalized for a nearly fatal case of pneumonia. Concerns over Haggard’s health continued when he cancelled his show in Riverside, Cali. just moments before he was set to take the stage. This led to the cancellation of the rest of his upcoming tour dates through a release from Haggard’s publicist, which stated that he was hoping to be “back on the road later in the spring.”
For now, it looks like the Hag is doing his best to recover while entertaining his fans as much as possible. It’s a brave move from a man who recently told Rolling Stone Country how seriously he was taking his latest brush with death.
“I’m really lucky to be alive,” Haggard explained. “It could’ve gone in another direction had I messed around a little more. I’m just hoping I’m fully able.”