Willie Nelson is getting ready to release a new album, God’s Problem Child, which includes a tribute to the late Merle Haggard.
The project will drop on April 28, just one day before Nelson will celebrate his 84th birthday. What better way to celebrate than with new tunes? The album has 13 tracks, seven of which were co-written by Nelson and Buddy Cannon.
Although the record has a solid track listing, the last may be the most meaningful. “He Won’t Ever Be Gone,” was penned by Gary Nicholson and is a tribute to Haggard, Nelson’s longtime friend and collaborator.
“God’s Problem Child” was co-written by Jamey Johnson and Tony Joe White and supplied vocals alongside the late great Leon Russell. Other standout cut include “Delete and Fast Forward,” a political track that was inspired by Donald Trump and the election and “Still Not Dead,” where Nelson jokes about his several death hoaxes.
“I got up two or three times in the last couple of years and read the paper where I’d passed away,” he tells Rolling Stone. “So I just wanted to let ’em know that’s a lot of horses***.”
God’s Problem Child will be available digitally, on CD and vinyl on April 28.
God’s Problem Child Track Listing:
1. “Little House on the Hill” (Lyndel Rhodes)
2. “Old Timer” (Donnie Fritz/Lenny LeBlanc)
3. “True Love” (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
4. “Delete and Fast Forward” (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
5. “A Woman’s Love (Mike Reid/Sam Hunter)
6. “Your Memory Has a Mind Of Its Own” (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
7. “Butterfly” (Sonny Throckmorton/Mark Sherrill)
8. “Still Not Dead” (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
9. “God’s Problem Child” (Jamey Johnson/Tony Joe White)
10. “It Gets Easier” (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
11. “Lady Luck” (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
12. “I Made a Mistake” (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
13. “He Won’t Ever Be Gone” (Gary Nicholson)