Southern Strawberry Shortcake is the perfect way to usher in springtime.
Regardless of where you live, this tasty recipe will make you feel like you’re in the South.
There’s no need to buy pound cake from the store for this simple treat; you can easily prepare the homemade biscuits in a matter of minutes. The tender, melt-in-your-mouth biscuits pair perfectly with juicy fresh berries. Serve them with homemade whipped cream and sprigs of mint for the perfect garnish.
It’s a good thing this recipe serves eight because your family and friends are sure to want seconds! So pick up some ripe red berries from your local farmer’s market or food co-op and try your hand at making these tasty treats.
- 2 (16-oz.) containers fresh strawberries, cut in half
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, if desired
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup chilled butter, cut up
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
1. In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, 1/2 cup of sugar, and almond extract. Let stand.
2. In an electric mixer, beat whipping cream at medium speed until foamy; slowly add 2 Tbsp. sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill until the shortcakes are ready.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and baking powder; cut butter into the mixture until it resembles small crumbs.
4. In another bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Drop large scoops of dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
5. Bake the shortcakes at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
6. Cut the shortcakes in half horizontally. Place berry mixture and whipped cream onto shortcakes; cover with the top half of the shortcake. Serve with remaining whipped cream and fresh mint sprigs if desired.