News

Another Man Contracts Flesh Eating Bacteria on Texas Coast

A Kyle man is suffering from an infected leg after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria while swimming on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Last Saturday, Adrian Ruiz, 42, went swimming for just a few hours on a Port Aransas beach. According to the Austin American-Statesman, he came down with a fever and chills later that night. The next day he woke up to a red rash on his leg.

His family brought him to an emergency room where doctors initially diagnosed and treated him for cellulitis. They later admitted him to the ICU at Seton Medical Center Hays, and discovered the cause of the rash was Vibrio vulnificus, a type of flesh-eating bacteria that is sometimes found in the Gulf during warmer months. According to the report, he is still in critical condition.

Courtesy Ruiz Family. Via Austin-American Statesman
Courtesy Ruiz Family. Via Austin-American Statesman

According to the Texas Department of Health and Safety, the number of annual cases the past ten years in Texas range from 15-30. The bacteria is contracted through eating contaminated shellfish or through a small scrape or wound on the body.

This is the second case of a flesh-eating bacteria infecting a middle-aged man on the Texas coast this week. On June 12, 50-year-old Brian Parrot, of Jacinto City, contracted an aggressive bacteria after swimming on a Galveston beach. Doctors had to amputate his leg to stop the spread of infection.

recommended for you

Another Man Contracts Flesh Eating Bacteria on Texas Coast