Stepping into the spotlight for her first headlining tour, Kacey Musgraves speaking is up, and people are listening.
In the past year, this 26-year old Mineola, Texas native has won two Grammys, voiced her controversial political opinion in song and has toured with Katy Perry. Kacey Musgraves is here to prove she has the chops, the lyrics, and the personality to make it big.
Here are 30 of the unlimited reasons we love her:
1. Her songs are about more than booze, boys and breakups.
2. She and her fellow songwriters managed to fit six different uses for “Mary” in one chorus.
“Mary Kay”, “Mary Jane”, “Mary two doors down”, “Mary, Mary quite contrary”, “get married”, and “merry go round”.
3. She’s has a cactus obsession and she’s not afraid to show it.
She tweets about them, she finds them on vacation, she admits they are her favorite emoji to use, and she uses them on stage.
4. She holds Q&A sessions with her fans on Twitter.
5. And lets them help her out during performances.
6. Some fans even consider her their Oprah.
7. When she can’t make it to television interviews, she appears via hologram.
8. India loves her.
According to Shazam’s iPad app, Musgraves’ “Blowin’ Smoke” was number one in Thiruvananthapuram, India for a week.
9. Kacey proves you don’t have to win to be a winner.
Although Musgraves got 7th place on the singing competition Nashville Star, she went on to win two Grammys for Best Country Song and Best Country Album at the 2014 award show.
10. While amazing as a solo act, collaborations like this where she’s having fun with her peers make us like her even more.
11. She’s an animal lover.
12. She competes against herself…and wins.
During the 2014 CMAs, Musgraves was nominated for Music Video of the Year for “Follow Your Arrow” as both the singer and director, and won.
13. She is a spokesperson for Oreo.
14. She’s been writing songs since elementary school.
The first song Kacey wrote is called “Notice Me.” She wrote it when she was only 9 years old.
15. This cover of One Republic’s “Apologize” by a young Kacey Musgraves.
16. She wrote a Wizard of Oz inspired song with Katy Perry.
17. She performed a version of “Keep It To Yourself” with her former tour-mate Katy Perry.
18. Katy Perry returned the favor and proved Musgraves can handle more than just country.
19. This hair:
20. These boots:
21. She doesn’t realize how good she really is.
And seems genuinely shocked whenever she wins an award.
22. She’s written some of your favorite songs by other artists.
23. Before becoming a singer in her own right, she sang on a Josh Abbott Band single, “Oh, Tonight.”
24. Like us, she has too many favorite TV shows to count.
25. This dynamic duet with a country music legend.
Musgraves had the honor of performing with Loretta Lynn at the 2014 CMAs, and by the end of “You’re Looking At Country,” they were embracing each other like lifelong friends.
26. She’s received the approval of Brian Wilson, of Beach Boys fame.
Musgraves recorded a song with Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson in the spring called “Guess You Had To Be There.” Wilson had kind words for his collaborator. “…After three tries, Kacey nailed it,” Wilson told Rolling Stone. “I like the way she just slides over the notes – she has a very cool sound.”
27. She was the first ever country singer to perform at the GLAAD awards.
The success of her single, “Follow Your Arrow” has been a huge step for country music and LGBT rights, even if that wasn’t her original intention.
28. She’s been compared to Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Rolling Stone referred to her as “Ralph Waldo Emerson in country-girl drag.”
29.She’s basically a princess in light up cowboy boots.
30. And, she’s just getting started.
Musgraves has hinted that new music is coming soon, and we can’t wait to see what she has in store for 2015.